Flow Cytometry Specialist
Van Andel Research Institute (VARI) is a leading independent biomedical research facility dedicated to determining the epigenetic, genetic, molecular and cellular origins of cancer, Parkinson’s and other diseases, and translating those findings into effective therapies. The Institute is home to more than 330 scientists and support staff that work in on-site laboratories and in collaborative partnerships that span the globe.
We are currently seeking to hire a Flow Cytometry Specialist to assist in the daily operations of the flow cytometry core. The Flow Cytometry Core provides assay design, consulting, cell-sorting, and analysis services to both internal and external researchers.
As our Flow Cytometry Specialist, you will work under the direction of the Flow Cytometry Core Manager and will be responsible for the following Key Areas:
- Operate, QC, and maintain instrumentation
- Manage instrument schedules
- Troubleshoot problems as they arise
- Provide guidance and assistance to new and existing researchers
In any given day, your duties and responsibilities might include:
- Performing daily startup, calibration, operation, and shutdown of both cell sorters and benchtop analyzers
- Maintain cleanliness of cytometers and lab space
- Assist and train researchers in core procedures, instrumentations, and data analysis
- Perform analysis and prepare reports for researchers and internal core projects
- Restock and order lab supplies and reagents
- Communicate effectively with our Core Manager and facility users
- Other duties as assigned
What skills and qualifications should you possess?
We would expect you to possess a Bachelor’s Degree, focused on a biological or physical science with at least 2 years of laboratory/bench experience and the ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
If you possess any of the following skills, it would be highly desired:
- Knowledge of flow principles and techniques
- Experience with flow cytometry instrumentation, especially MoFlo Astrios and/or CytoFlex
- Experience in a core or shared resource laboratory
Most importantly, you should be a person with the following traits and characteristics:
- A collaborative and an excellent communicator who is flexible and has a customer service oriented personality. We expect you to have a strong commitment to building and maintaining a positive work environment.
- A motivated and hardworking individual, who has excellent organizational and time management skills
- The ability to work alone or as a team member
- Strong critical thinking and troubleshooting skills
- Enthusiasm for and curiosity about a broad range of scientific disciplines
How to apply:
If you possess these attributes and the desire to help us provide best in a class service to our researchers, we would welcome speaking with you and strongly encourage you to apply today.
In your application, provide us the following:
- cover letter highlighting key qualifications,
- current curriculum vitae with complete bibliography,
- names and contact information of 3 references,
This position will be open until filled and will be reviewing applications on an ongoing basis. If you have any difficulty uploading your application or any questions, please email Eric Miller at email@example.com.
VAI is actively striving to diversify its workforce and strongly encourages qualified individuals from underrepresented groups to apply. Van Andel Institute is an EEO and Affirmative Action Employer.
Van Andel Research Institute is located in downtown Grand Rapids, MI which is the second largest city in Michigan and the largest city in West Michigan. Grand Rapids offers a remarkable combination of cosmopolitan atmosphere and small town warmth, known for its philanthropic and sustainability-driven community, and is ranked one of "America's Top 100 Places to Live."
Located on the banks of the Grand River, Grand Rapids offers all the big-city excitement you'd expect from a million-resident metropolis, featuring hundreds of restaurants and nightspots, theatres, museums, sports and concerts. The safe and clean downtown is surrounded by an eclectic mix of walk-able neighborhoods.
With a medical and life sciences industry boom, strong entrepreneurial activity, dedication to green building and living, and innovative employers, Grand Rapids' diverse economy continues to grow, offering endless career opportunities.
Grand Rapids, Michigan, United States