Flow Cytometry Core Facility Manager
Van Andel Research Institute (VARI) is a leading independent biomedical research facility and we are currently seeking to hire a Flow Cytometry Core Facility Manager. VARI is dedicated to determining the epigenetic, genetic, molecular and cellular origins of cancer, Parkinson’s and other diseases, and translating those findings into effective therapies. The Institute is home to more than 330 scientists and support staff that work in on-site laboratories and in collaborative partnerships that span the globe.
As our Flow Cytometry Facility Manager, your main responsibility will be design, develop and qualify robust analytical methods using flow cytometry for VARI scientists and their collaborators for research and clinical applications.
You will be responsible for the following Key Areas in this role:
- Advise VARI scientists on design
- Perform assays for VARI scientists
- Train VARI scientists so they can perform assays (semi-)independently
- Follow technical developments in the field and ensure that the VARI core is at the forefront.
You will also be VARI’s in-house expert in flow cytometry technology and operate on the leading edge of state-of-the-art technology and emerging applications in cell sorting and analysis.
As our in-house expert you will:
· Work collaboratively with scientists to determine appropriate method formats and required sensitivity for intended applications and responsible for performing assays to inform process understanding
· Provide supervision and/or special training to technical personnel in flow cytometry related research projects.
· Maintain best knowledge of current practices in flow cytometry, compliance with safety regulations, perform instrument maintenance and repairs or initiate repairs through vendors.
What qualifies you as an expert?
We would expect you to possess a Master’s degree, Ph.D. degree preferred, focused on biology, biochemistry, or a healthcare related field. Most important is you will need to have 5 – 10 years of flow cytometry operational and management experience in addition to the following expertise:
· A strong understanding of flow cytometry theory and application in routine analysis, high emphasis on cell sorting and experience in single sorting-collaboration with single cell genomics.
· Expertise in training and education of faculty, staff and post doctorate and graduate students in the techniques, operation and analysis of flow cytometry.
· Core facility management including; an efficient, accessible and outstanding service, annual budget formation, development of standard operating procedures (SOP), quality management and assurance.
· Ability to assist in the writing of publications and grants utilizing flow cytometry techniques and data.
· Expertise in the operation of the Beckman Coulter MoFlo Astrios cell sorter and the cytoFLEX S flow cytometer and analysis system.
You also should be a person with the following traits and characteristics:
· A collaborative and an excellent communicator as you will be working in an interdisciplinary team environment.
· A motivated and hardworking individual with a track record of demonstrated planning and organizational skills
· A strong commitment to building and maintaining a positive work environment.
· Brings innovation/creative thinking about science.
How to apply:
To apply, please go to the following link, http://bit.ly/VARI-FACS. Applicants should submit the following:
· cover letter highlighting key qualifications,
· current curriculum vitae with complete bibliography,
· names and contact information of 3 references,
This position will be open until filled and will be reviewing applications on an ongoing basis. If you have any difficulty uploading your application or any questions, please email Eric Miller at email@example.com.
VAI is actively striving to diversify its workforce and strongly encourages qualified individuals from underrepresented groups to apply. Van Andel Institute is an EEO and Affirmative Action Employer.
Van Andel Research Institute is located in downtown Grand Rapids, MI which is the second largest city in Michigan and the largest city in West Michigan. Grand Rapids offers a remarkable combination of cosmopolitan atmosphere and small town warmth, known for its philanthropic and sustainability-driven community, and is ranked one of "America's Top 100 Places to Live."
Located on the banks of the Grand River, Grand Rapids offers all the big-city excitement you'd expect from a million-resident metropolis, featuring hundreds of restaurants and nightspots, theatres, museums, sports and concerts. The safe and clean downtown is surrounded by an eclectic mix of walk-able neighborhoods.
With a medical and life sciences industry boom, strong entrepreneurial activity, dedication to green building and living, and innovative employers, Grand Rapids' diverse economy continues to grow, offering endless career opportunities.