Stevan Thomas Lauriault
FOUNDER, PRESIDENT AND C.E.O
Biotechnology, Pharmaceutical and Life Sciences Research
Service Provider – Flow Cytometry
June 22, 2008 – Present
hosted out of an on-site APACHE web
server. Developed a username/password secure database-driven web application
capable of transferring large data files directly to local, on-site server.
- Database-driven web design, implementation and search
engine optimization (SEO).
- Advertisement, client/colleague networking, data
transfer via webpage, process development, corporate logo, tri-panel
brochure, business card.
- MS Excel and Simply Accounting for financial
- MS Outlook for contact management, communications.
- NUANS search, articles of incorporation, business name
and number registration. Awarded OSEB grant to assist with funding for
preliminary start-up period.
- Certified completion of OSEB program.
- Completed comprehensive business plan and business plan
- Full member of International Society for Advancement of
Cytometry (ISAC) and Clinical Cytometry Society (CCS).
CONTRACTOR: RESEARCH ASSISTANT/TECHNICIAN/TECHNOLOGIST
Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre
On site: Defence Research and Development Canada - Toronto
Department of National Defence, Canada
April 1, 2006 - April 1, 2008
- Took a leadership role in establishing
the laboratory groundwork (first 50 patients, and healthy controls
subjects) for the flow cytometry method employed by a multi-hospital
clinical trial of hypertonic saline blood substitute, being conducted by
the Resuscitation Outcomes Consortium.
- Developed assays and established instrument settings
using single-channel stained controls for DNA, intracellular and
- On-call days and nights to routinely process human
whole blood clinical samples from hospital, purify serum/plasma/PAXGene,
acquire whole blood on hematology analyzer, and leukocytes on cytometers.
- Routinely prepared solutions, operated pipettes,
micropipettes, repeaters, centrifuges, vortexes, water baths, incubators, BD
FACSCalibur (w/ sorter) and BD FACSCanto flow
cytometers. BD FACSComp, FACSCanto, CellQuest Pro,
FACSDiva software for QC/acquisition. FlowJo 8.7, CellQuest Pro
and FACSDiva 5.2 software for analysis.
- Obtained BD FACSCanto training certificate Oct.,
2007, Billerica, MA.
- Performed machine calibration, maintenance,
trouble-shooting, experiment/template design, test antibody
research/ordering, control antibody ordering, isotype/concentration
matching, antibody titrations, fluorescence compensation, data acquisition,
analysis, patient-specific boolean gating, iterations, population
- Upgraded Software and Hardware.
- Conducted further analysis of trial results using StatView
statistical analysis software.
- Trained users in universal safety precautions, solution
preparation, diverse staining techniques (intracellular/surface/DNA), flow
cytometry troubleshooting, multitasking, data acquisition and batch analysis.
- Researched advanced cytometry techniques, experimental
design (normal cytometry, FACS and ImageStream), purchasing quote
generation, group scheduling, hardware/software upgrades, LWA, PC/Mac,
carousel setup (automation), MS Windows/OSX, Internet web-browsers,
online literature search using EndNotes and full-text search,
publication review, MS Outlook, Word, Excel, Powerpoint.
- Took leadership role in designing and implementing human
whole blood staining experiments on Amnis ImageStream Cellular
Imaging device. Also analyzed and interpreted experimental results.
Coordinated off-site FACS coordination experiments and presented assay
development data/results to ROC staff.
RESEARCH TECHNOLOGIST I
The Hospital for Sick Children
Flow Cytometry Core Facility
March 2005 - Sept. 2005 (part-time, temp.
- Daily maintenance, calibration
and operation of the BD FACScan and FACSCalibur Flow Cytometers.
- Acquired and analyzed flow
cytometry data (1-4 colour) from multiple laboratories using CellQuest
Pro and FlowJo software.
- Emulated/Constructed batch
analysis template and performed batch analysis using FlowJo software.
- Scheduled and managed assay
appointments using FileMaker Pro. Trained users how to acquire and
SCIENTIST II (TN Visa title)
ANN ARBOR, MI
Sept. - Nov. 2004 (full-time, temp. contract)
- 4-colour analysis of human
bone-marrow using Coulter Epics XLMCL flow cytometry with windows-based
- Multi-panel sample staining and
SCIENTIST II (TN Visa title)
Pfizer Inc. - Global Research and Development
ANN ARBOR, MI
April - Sept. 2004 (full-time, temp. contract)
- Optimization of 4-color
Lymphocyte sub-setting assay.
- Rodent euthanasia and splenectomy.
- Single-cell suspensions from
tissue, cell-staining, flow cytometry using FACSCalibur with CellQuest
Pro software, mAb preparations, dilutions, SOPs, databook and notebook
recordings, data analysis, validation and PowerPoint presentation.
- Training: Chemical spill
safety, General Site Safety, Animal Welfare training.
University of Windsor, Department of Biology
Jan. - April 2004 (part-time, semester)
- Assisted in teaching first year
biology lab with the department of Biological Sciences while pursuing Hon.
B. Sc. in Biochemistry and Biotechnology.
SOFTWARE ENGINEER/VICE PRESIDENT - startup
Feb. - April 2003
- Assisted in family
- learned basics in
Database-driven web programming using Dreamweaver MX, Flash MX,
MX, HTML, Java, C++, MySQL server, MS Access.
- Database-driven Webpage design,
template production, multitasking and office duties.
Feb. - May 2002 (full-time, contract)
- Project Management, Excel
database input/functions, Chemical Preparation, spectrophotometric
analysis, ion-selective electrode maintenance and testing, pH
photometric analysis, blood serum analysis, basic HPLC, bilingual environment
Université de Lausanne/ISREC
July - Sept. 2001 (full-time, stage)
- Assisted with experiments in
tumor targeting using an innovative approach.
- In collaboration with ISREC and
Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research.
- Bacterial culture, incubation
- Synthesis and purification of
inclusion bodies from E.Coli and subsequent Bradford assay
SDS-PAGE and BioRad chromatography.
- Performed refolding procedure
(dialysis) of soluble MHC class I protein with flu peptide.
- Tumour cell culture, mouse
maintenance, (SCID, normal), FACS analysis, ELISPOT and lab duties. For
more information, see www.cancerimmunity.org vol. 3 no. 11.
Rigel Pharmaceuticals Inc.
S. SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA
May - Sept. 2000 (full-time, temp. contract)
- Calculated dilutions for Jurkat
T-cell proliferation. Maintained cells in the biohazard cell culture room,
organized cloned cells into 96 well plates, BD FACSCalibur w/ CellQuest
software operation. Analyzed data and documented results.
BACHELOR OF SCIENCE DEGREE, BIOLOGICAL SCIENCE
University of Windsor
Sept. 1996 - June, 2000
Hon. B.Sc., BIOCHEMISTRY AND BIOTECHNOLOGY
(completed 3rd year)
University of Windsor
Sept. 2004 - May 2005
GRADUATE STUDENT - UNCLASSIFIED
University of Calgary
Sept. - Dec., 2000
Developed grant proposal focusing on a
bispecific molecule (HLA I/FluA/anti-tumour antigen IgG hybrid) to be used in
cancer immunotherapy. See Lausanne/ISREC in experiences.